06/01/2010

The Dancing Revolution

If I can't dance - I don't want to be part of your revolution

- Emma Goldman (1869-1940)

I'm still amazed by the Dancing Revolution that took place on New Year's Night. In case you weren't there: just before 3am we announced the last three numbers, and people came up to me, not asking for more, but demanding: You have to play more! The look in their eyes said, Are you crazy?!

But we did stop the milonga (or so we thought). There was no applause for an encore. We had the kick-out, and then stood in silence in the circle, no-one wanting to be the first to leave. Then a couple embraced each other where they were standing, and began to softly sway to some inner music. And another, and another, and another... in moments the whole room was dancing in silence; no-one left. Someone began to hum softly. After ten minutes or so, someone came over to the sound desk and plugged in their i-pod, and the party carried on as though nothing had happened. When I left at 4am, it was still in full swing.

I've never seen anything like this in my life; and I may never again! I still can't put into words my feelings about this moment. No matter what anyone else said, the people were going to go on dancing, and they refused to go home. It was a dancing revolution.

No comments: